1 ¼ cups milk
4 cups bread flour
3 x 7g sachets instant yeast
½ cup brown sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarb soda
1 lemon, rind finely grated
1 cup sultanas and raisins
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup plain flour
4 tbs water, plus ¼ cup boiling water
¼ cup golden syrup
1. Preheat oven to 180°c. Lightly grease an oven tray.
2. Place milk and butter in a saucepan over gentle heat and stir until butter has melted. Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm.
3. Meanwhile, combine flour, yeast, sugar, spices, baking powder, bicarb soda, lemon rind, dried fruit and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl. Lightly whisk eggs and vanilla together and add to dry ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to gently stir in the milk and butter mixture until the dough comes together.
4. Turn out dough onto a clean surface and knead for 10 minutes. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot for 11/2 hours or until doubled in size.
5. Turn out risen dough onto a clean surface and, using your hands, knead it back to its original size.
6. Form dough into 12 evenly shaped buns. Place buns onto prepared tray and loosely cover with plastic wrap, leaving enough room for the buns to rise. Allow 30 minutes for them to rise again.
7. To make flour paste, mix flour and water together to form a smooth paste and spoon in a piping bag. Pipe a cross on top of each risen bun, then bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
8. Meanwhile, to make the glaze, mix golden syrup with 1/4 cup boiling water. Brush over cooked buns while they are still hot. Serve while warm.