When:Australia Day recipe
- 1 ¼ cup plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup cornflour
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 230g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup full cream milk
- 3 cups icing sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup boiling water
- 75g butter, melted
- Desiccated coconut to coat
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease an 18 cm x 24 cm baking tin.
- Add all ingredients for the cake to a large bowl and beat until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin and bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave the cake in the tin for about 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool, with the bottom of the cake facing up. This will help to flatten the top of the cake as it cools.
- Using a bread knife, cut the sponge into 6cm squares.
- Sift together the icing sugar and cocoa. Add boiling water and melted butter and mix until smooth.
- Using 2 forks to hold the sponge squares, dip in the chocolate then roll in desiccated coconut. Serve.